Thread: Ot: motorcycles
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 04:09 PM

I went over to the other thread and had some fun looking at everyone’s bikes. I HAD a 2014 Ducati Monster 796. It was a great bike but someone got antsy in traffic and had to do an illegal u-turn back in October. The bike is totaled and I have been off of my preferred bike with a broken leg ever since. My girlfriend’s matching 696 has been gathering dust in the garage ever since. One of our neighbors has a beautiful Ducati Sport classic that just gathers dust. After my accident he told me that he had been having so much fun running that he didn’t want to risk injury so he stopped riding. Smart guy.

It’s almost impossible not to want a motorcycle. They are really fun BUT the biggest catch for me is that you have to decide between riding a bike and riding a moto. One is a much more rewarding experience, the other is ca be thrilling, but has an extremely high risk factor. I live in a dense, trafficy city and I was commuting—I was exposing myself to huge amounts of risk for no good reason. If I lived in a smaller town and didn’t commute, I would be tempted to get another bike. But the time issue isn’t negated by those other factors.

One of the weird things that I never got used to was that if I went for a nice 2-6 hour moto ride, I could have the best ride of my life but as soon as the bike was off, the good feelings of the ride were over. I never got the endorphin effect that you get from a long bike ride with a moto ride.