View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Thank you Skitlets for sharing.

Some people here have valid points, some are oblivious to what's going on - and they seem pretty content demonstrating their own oblivion.

It's a shame that women are underrepresented in the bike industry. We are all worse off for it.
Thanks Dude and redir the kind words. There are some things people just won't get unless they've lived it -- or keep an open mind when people who have lived it tell their stories. When I first started as an attorney, I'd sometimes be confused for the IT guy. Young female attorneys sometimes would be assumed to be the secretary or paralegal. I tell this story, and apologists/people who are "color/genderblind" will say it's because of youth.

I've never seen a young White male attorney assumed to be any of the above.

After a while, it's easier to just let people keep their heads in the sand because POC go through this kinda crap all day and don't have the energy to educate in their off time. But I love bikes! So consider this a free anecdote worth all of 2 cents.

On the economics of the bike biz, I'm not sure why anyone would stay in it other than for the love. A wheelbuild might take an hour + of skilled labor and only cost $40-$80/wheel. My plumber's minimum is $350 per job, even if it takes 30 minutes.

It took me 3 weekends to set up a new bike build from scratch, 4 including the wheels. In hindsight, I'd prefer to spend the couple hundred on having a pro do the work.