View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
In what way would selling the parts be unethical? For sale, derailleur with road rash from a crash, cage slightly bent, pulleys spin fine.
Well I don't know what your definition of unethical is, but to me, when I see people selling crashed parts they would continue your above example as:

other than the road rash, it's basically new. New $200, Your's for $100.

That to me isn't right. A crashed item, that potentially is weakened is not even close to the same as a 'used' item that has never been crashed. A crashed/damaged item should be sold for more than about 10-20% new value. Ie. Your new $200 derailleur should be sold for no more than about $30-40.

They should write "Could potentially snap off your bike and cause a crash at any moment, BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK"

At that point, just give it away. Or strip your bits and pieces and use them. People don't write that because they want much more than just 10-20%. What happens is people don't like that their item is all ratched up so they sell it to some 'sucker', all along validating their over-priced ask by downplaying the damage (which they really have little idea about) and they go buy a new and safer one.

That may not be the definition of "unethical" but I think it's pretty dirty.

Think about car value, where I'm from it is law to disclose when a car has been involved in a serious accident (over certain value etc) and people don't disclose ALL THE TIME and hope people don't check, because they don't want their car to sell for peanuts..... which is what the value is when they do disclose. No different in my opinion with bike parts.

Last edited by rain dogs; 02-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.