View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Bike sales had been flat for a long time. One company's sales go up 2%, somebody else's goes down 2%. Discs on MTBs ARE a good idea. Mud and muck, still have brakes, back a rim, still have brakes but some brainiac thought, 'why not on road bikes? In fact, we'll emphasize how dangerous road riding is and how great it is to ride on dirt roads out in the 'country'. And we'll start to sell fat rims and tires and talk about much 'better' those are, even on those dangerous roads.'
And we'll call it 'Gravel Bikes'....and sell a ton of them...Even tho we know most won't actually ride them on dirt roads, but to the coffee shop for that 25 miler on Sunday. "Ooo, new bike?"..

If it were only that simple. Far too often a rim brake guy is chastised, or criticized for sticking to rim brakes, even here...Often even chastised by 'industry' as they try to sell their 'latest and greatest'.

Great post above from carlucci1106, from in the trenches.
Yup, once disk brakes came to the road bikes all-a-sudden rim brakes are 'a problem.'

I will probably buy one more bike in my life time and it will be a custom steel frame with rim brakes. I'm still riding Campy tubulars built in the 1980's so I figure I'll be good to go in another 30 years if I am even still riding bikes in my 70's and 80's lol!