View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 AM

LBS shipping problems

A friend of mine was recently back in the states, we are military stationed in Japan, and bought a bike from an LBS somewhere in Virginia. He rode it while there for two weeks and had them box and ship the bike to my house in Okinawa.

I received it today and started unboxing it to assemble and get him ready for our group ride on Thursday morning. I'm not a professional bike mechanic but I don't feel this bike was packaged very well. They left the rear derailleur on the bike and either it or the hanger was bent severely in shipping, there was some box damage as well in that area. The chain was installed backwards (Shimano facing inboard). The front derailleur cable was angled in a way that his two weeks of riding rubbed the finish off of his crank arm. And there was a scratch down to the metal on the downtube because they didn't have that part wrapped well. They wrapped the bike in a mix of some foam and some cardboard, the handlebars were wrapped with a single piece of paper and tape. I have put together some pictures for him to send back to the shop were he purchased it and I haven't touched the derailleur until he hears back.

We are calling tomorrow and will list all damage, I told him he may need a quote from an actual bike shop to repair everything.

He also has a good dent in the chain stay right behind the bottom bracket where he was riding and the chain came off the inner ring, spun around the bottom bracket shell and got caught between the chain stay and crank. Dented it pretty good as he doesn't have a chain catcher installed. With all the other issues in how the shop boxed this bike, chain backwards, cable rubbing, I feel like this may have been caused by an improper setup by the LBS initially.

I get some of this may be small issues, but feel like there should have been more care taken when selling a new bike. Some pictures to follow.

Thoughts?