View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 08:25 AM

An orange Raleigh Record 10-speed, circa 1973. Brooks leather saddle, wide-flange hubs. Nice bike, but unable to withstand the abuse imparted by a 14-year-old. On this bike I did win the one and only bike race I have ever entered

After a succession of mongrels and Schwinn Breeze single-speed wheelie / skid / slide / ramp / woods bikes, I ended up with a Kabuki (Bridgestone) 12-speed, circa 1980. Ultimately stolen out of my basement.

Next, a Cannondale R600, 1985, with Shimano 600 and downtube shifters. Purchased for the then-astronomical sum of $650. A gorgeous color, Sea Sprite Green, approximated today by Serotta's Porsche Bebe. Wicked stiff, but a lot of fun. On this I rode a Vernon, VT - Vernon, CT century during which one of my buddies ran over a goose, a solo tour de Martha's Vineyard during which I completely and utterly bonked, and a drunken, impromptu pursuit on the Charles River bike path which ended when another of my buddies took out a lamp post at full speed and I went over the bars in avoidance, breaking my arm, but not my bare head.

TimD

Last edited by TimD; 10-01-2004 at 08:45 AM.