View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
Young people dont have a network. Thats what the first five years of a career gets you. And, as was mentioned earlier, applicants are expected to have five years of experience in order to get an entry level job/pay.
Life isnt as easy as youre making it out to be.
Additionally, wasnt your career based on a very niche specialty that paid very well by the end, allowing you to retire in your 40s? Thats an exception to the norm for most people, so your experience doesn’t necessarily jive with others’, and therefor your advice wont necessarily be blanketly applicable.
thanks for saying it, i was tired of making the same point over and over with only the answer to "network." All my head could hear was "privilege". if your parents did not start you on that track, if you dont get a job where you went to school, if you relocate to become employed, or if you acknowledge the reality of the job market as it is, networking as a blanket answer is naive. it may work for you, but that does't mean it works. there aare also often no ways to know if your bosses are petty, My experience was with Washington mutual bank, i think it turns out my opinions of their management were correct, as they did not survive, but how was a young idiot needing a job to know? you folks and your networks were lucky, not normal. normal people in normal towns and normal circumstances dont develop networks. like 3 kids from HS went to college, and my dad thought you could get a job with a handshake like when he was young. so wheres the network? I think you cats who have this parents getting you jobs thing dont realize thats not at all normal for the majority. thats lucky, thats good parenting, and thats not the norm. im pretty shocked to find out most people think this is normal.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 12-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.