View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 09:01 AM

Which one has the biggest hoods?

Believe it or not that is what I want. Some generations of hoods have been a bit too small for my taste.

One thing that has annoyed me in the past is SRAM doing alloy threads to save weight on things that are maintenance items where you're going to have to remove/replace that bolt and eventually destroy the part.

The worst offender was a front derailleur cable fixing on Rival back in the day. Luckily that is one that is eliminated on electronic. But IMO Rival/105 level should never have anything like that. IME 105 and Ultegra have never had that kind of thing.. they'll have steel replaceable inserts so you don't destroy a derailleur, and the steel doesn't get chewed up anyway.

I would be looking for that kind of thing.

The other one for me would be DOT vs Mineral. Historically I am heavily biased towards DOT and I have nice DOT tools. But on the road I am heavily biased towards Shimano.. in all likelihood when I have to go hydraulic disc on the road I will just be buying a 2nd set of tools for mineral oil cause Shimano may just have the better options. Even if that ends up being $200 in new tools (seems high) it's worth it to get the bike I like best, and it will still pay for itself really fast. My wife has Shimano MTB disc brakes already so it's not like we've kept the garage 100% one way.

How often does anyone break internally routed Di2 wires? If it's just 1 time to me that might bias me towards Shimano if Shimano has better battery life/fewer batteries and faster shifting.