View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 07:14 AM

I wouldn't take anyone's advice regarding brake hood suitability, simply because hand size varies so much. My hands are about as small as you'll find. I've owned old Shimano STI, then 25 years on Campy. I figured out a way to bring the brake levers in close to the bars, so I could reach them. Now the levers have reach adjustment, but it's possible to get the disc brake lever close enough that they'll bottom out on the bars with SRAM Force.

I can't complain about any of the brake hoods. I'm on the fatter Force D1 now. Even my stubby fingers can easily make an O around the hood, behind the brake lever. I have no comfort problems. Most problems are due to poor setup and not using a little camper seal foam rubber to smooth the transition onto the bar.

I find the shifting of AXS to be much like Campy mechanical. It's fast enough for me.

Riding a lot with winter gloves, SRAM is the winner.

I want more range than SRAM cranks offer, so I use Shimano GRX. I just switched my bikes to the new 12 speed model. The trade up was about $70 per crank, buying the new ones on sale and selling the old ones on eBay. No one here wanted them.

I use SRAM, but not their brake pads. Those complaining about noise should try Galfer standard pads. They're much easier to bed in. There are many others to choose from.

I can use either road cassettes or a wide range 10-44 or 10-52 with the same XDR freehub. With Shimano, microspline is needed for a 10-45 or 10-52 and road cassettes require the HG freehub. AFAIK, you can't convert one into the other.

One reason I never buy pre-built bikes is the limited options. I build up bikes from the frame, so every part is what I want. I've bought a pre-built, just to get the frame and sold off the rest as a package deal on eBay.

Last edited by Dave; 03-13-2024 at 08:46 AM.