View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Interesting the dichotomy of opinions here, but not surprising.

I'm in the "LA is a great place to ride" camp. We are moving back next month after 4 years in Austin and I'm very much looking forward to the riding vs. what I've been doing in Austin. We live in Manhattan Beach so accessibility to quieter city streets and the Strand is key for me. Austin had much more varied terrain right out my front door, but accessing the vast majority of it meant riding on a broad shoulder of a road with 55/65 mph traffic, which is a recipe for death if someone clips you. On top of that, drivers were WAY more aggressive against cyclists in Texas (honking, swerving, throwing stuff, "rolling coal" on me) than I ever experienced in LA.

Just like real estate, riding in LA is all about the location, but I think you'll find there are some pretty great options depending on where you settle. Part of the draw back for us is the ability to take short road trips to so many diverse areas around the state. Without a car this becomes a lot more challenging, so I'd encourage you to take the plunge with the car so you don't limit yourself just to the city.

Last edited by KJMUNC; 10-23-2018 at 10:16 AM.