View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
I'm in Appleton (where Saab and I met when we both were a lot younger than we are now, but he always was and will be younger and faster).

A lot of development has taken place since then, but I can still be on country roads will decent traffic in about 15 minutes. 30 minutes out it can be pretty quiet.

For rolling/hilly terrain the driftless area already mentioned is great. One of my sons and family is about 30 min north of Milwaukee in Cedarburg, and great riding there through the glaciated Kettle Moraine area. If I was to move for cycling it would be in that direction (about 90 min from Appleton).

But you can embrace the winter with fat biking, nordic skiing and other fun -- biathlon clubs on the west side of Madison (Middleton/Blackhawk Ridge), between Milwaukee and Madison (Eagle/McMiller Sports Center) and Green Bay area (Suamico/Green Bay Nordic). I do have to admit the prolonged grey stretch this year did start to wear a bit....

Northern WI and the UP are amazing mtb areas.

It depends on what you want in a city -- size, traffic, amenities etc. I don't have anything pulling me to Madison, but there's good riding as cited. As is there around here and north of Milwaukee as well.
Is this normal? Or was this year particularly bad? Also, do the grey stretches occur further south (say Chicago area) or is it a Wisconsin specialty?

It's our first year here, and if things turn out well, we'd love to stay here. Only thing that seems to faze me is the grey stretch (probably good time for a vacation somewhere sunny).