View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 03:30 PM

Only interested in Pasadena for the Arts & Crafts architecture.

Love the rest of the suggestions.

Any specific taco joints to check out?

Where to stay...now that is the question!?

Early risers...yes. Getting family motivated...no.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Another Mexican restaurant not popular with Mexicans.

Ok, if I were visiting LA with kids and if I knew what I know as a lifelong LA resident and a former kid (wrap your mind around that twisted syntax), I'd avoid The Outdoor Shopping Mall LA Streetscape. That means, no Pasadena, no Melrose, no Santa Monica-Third Street Promenade. I'd also avoid "highly rated" restaurants; they're all disappointing, out here. Obviously, kids like crowds and activity. And the beach is the beach. So do this:

Avoid Santa Monica, go to Hermosa Beach (with a nice drive through PV into San Pedro for cheesy port fun).

Avoid Pasadena and go to DTLA. Everyone loves the Broad and you can drive 5 minutes East (while seeing the emerging Arts/Loft District) to see how working class Mexican-Americans (60% of Los Angeles) live and eat (definitely not Super Rica style).

Avoid Melrose (does anyone go there anymore?) and bounce around Sunset Blvd from Echo Park to Silver Lake. End with lunch on Vermont and a trip into Griffith Park.

On the periphery and if you enjoy being a car. Check out one of the world's largest chinese communities in the San Gabriel Valley. There's a 2 mile stretch of Colima Rd where you won't see a sign in english. 30 min from DTLA.

If you're an early riser, there are a ton of brunch spots on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks. Great people watching and less superficial (a tiny bit) than the Westside.