View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Another long time runner here, with a slightly different perspective. I used to run much more, but cycling has taken over, both mtb and road. I did have lumbar disc degeneration that I blame mostly on running. So I took 2 whole years off from running and did lots of yoga, strengthening, and riding. I have slowly worked running back into my routine but only on trails and not too many miles or too much intensity. And I feel great. I'm not as fast as I used to be but I'm ok with that. I think running can be a fantastic way to stay fit and strong through the long winters here, and to stay balanced when riding a lot in the summer.

And running will not lead to needing a knee replacement. It drives me crazy when I see people say that. I have scrubbed in on many hundreds of joint replacements and cannot think of even one that was a runner without some other previous sports, work, or other injury. And its not just my experience, there is nothing to support the running/replacement theory anywhere in the medical literature. We do replacements mostly on obese people.