Thread: OT: Haircuts
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 01:57 PM

WOW! All of y'all have had pretty good luck I see with all this. Better than I was expecting, frankly. So, a couple of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
Been doing my own for about 10 years. Better results than the barber college. #3 guard up the sides, #8 guard up the back, and either hand guided with clippers or scissors on top, tapered in. I get some help from my wife to even up the back.
I'm confused about the various terminologies: I think of i) blades, and ii) guards (or the comb attachment that fits over the blade). The Oster 76 clipper that I'm considering comes with both #000 (0.5 mm cut length) and #1 (2.4 mm cut) which are WAY too short for me. If I used say the #1 blade, apparently I can use a #5 guard/comb to get an overall 5/8" cut length. Alternatively, I can use a #3-3/4 blade for a 1/2" cut with no guard/comb.

In your case, you're using a #3 guard (3/8" cut) and a #8 guard in the back (1" cut). Sound about right? What kind of blade do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
I bought a pair of clippers, stuck a number 4 guard on it, and let my daughters have at it. Required a fair amount of clean-up after but they really enjoyed it and I got my haircut! Mine came with an attachment that let me easily trim the hair around the ears to a shorter length. Just make sure you use the left/right side attachment on the right side!
What is this? You have a clipper with separate attachment on the side?

Thanks all. Maybe I'll drop the dough and give it a whirl....