View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oakterrace View Post
This fellow alludes to this but it is something I have never been able to understand. Maybe some folks can help me out.

I get that disc brakes are more or less better than rim brakes. No argument from me. What I do not get is that such an improvement comes at the cost of a new frame, fork, wheels, group set..... A ton of money.... And for what degree of improvement. Folks will buy what they want to spend $ on. I get that. But that is a lot of money... as well as rendering the old stuff obsolete, no longer interchangable. I know you can still ride the ole stuff but you get my drift.

I am inclined to think that disc brakes are a "conspiracy" by the industry to get folks spending a fortune in the latest and "greatest." And for what degree of improvement. Baffles me .
1) the gains at any step are marginal, but when you add them all up, the bike industry has come a long way in the last 50 years. If the bike industry stops trying to improve, you don't just miss out on the latest thing, you miss out on all the compounded progress.

2) if all your old stuff is great, it's fine to stick with your old stuff, but why buy a new bike to have it be just like your old bike? If one company offers something new and another offers the same models as previous years, which one do you think more people want? Where would Trek be today is they only offered the same products as their 2005 catalog? I'd say it would be more likely they'd be out of business than they'd be bigger than they currently are.