View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Thanks.
When you say "north of Fleischmanns and east of Roxbury" do you mean like Red Kill road and the roads around there?
I did a gravel ride up back there on Tuesday, some super tough hilly roads, almost broke me .

Yesterday I did a loop from Denver out to almost Bovina and back down through New Kingston and Roxbury, so part of the way back I was on Rt 6, really nice, but man lots of climbing, was something like 41 miles with 5600 feet of climbing.
I'm actually staying in Denver which is kind of in a valley outside of Roxbury, so it seems anywhere I go involves some big climbs, Even if I go to the reservoir, it's like a 4 mile climb to get from rt 30 over the ridge.
That's a lovely area where you're staying, but if you're not riding on Route 28 or Route 30, it's hard to avoid climbing.

Heading north from Fleischmanns, I took Lake St/Halcott Center Rd/CR 3. Very scenic but not steep. Then I took Silas Lake Rd/Red Kill Rd west (steep dirt), and descended Little Red Kill Rd back to Fleischmanns. Then I climbed Big Red Kill Rd to Dimmick Mountain Rd, right on CR 36/Denver-Vega Rd, left on Scudder Hill Rd, left on John Shultis Rd, left on Walker Rd, and right on CR 36 down to Route 30, and then left on CR 38 down to Arkville.

This was part of a 120-mile ride that started and ended in Sullivan County. Some other nice roads on my route were Mill Brook Rd from Arena to Dry Brook Rd, and Beech Hill Rd from Lew Beach to the Pepacton Reservoir.

If you want a very hilly route, I once rode from Stamford to Margaretville, 26 miles and nearly 4,000 feet of climbing, via Tower Mountain Rd, Narrow Notch Rd, Roxbury Mountain Rd, New Kingston Mountain Rd, and Margaretville Mountain Rd. I'd recommend low gears for that.