View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Ride to eat.

this and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Saddle height, saddle setback behind BB, reach from saddle -> bars, saddle->bar drop, gotta check it all.
This and I might concentrate on the saddle->bar drop.
If you have the old measure measurements look at them.

Keep in mind you need to measure the difference of the 2 not whether they are the same.

If you measure from the floor and they are the same this can be misleading because the BB drop may be different.

i.e the saddle height from the BB may be the same but from the ground it may not be because of different bottom bracket height.

Hard to tell from the different angles of the picture but the carbon bike (if its the blue one) looks like it has more saddle->bar drop. which will change your aero position and may slow you on the downhill's.

As far as riding differently Carbon vs. Steel. I don't think its a material thing but a stiffness thing.

I ride a lot of steel but when I got my MX leader (known to be stiff). I noticed it seem like it took 3 hard pedal strokes to feel like I was gaining speed compared to other steel bikes.
Right or wrong I attributed it to the lean out of the saddle and I may have been pushing a bit left and right. When I concentrated and started pushing down and backwards I noticed the power transfer didn't take 3 pedal strokes.

So I guess I ride my bikes differently. With a less stiff bike I think this emphasizes the use of the pull up for the same effect. If your a masher the pull up may not matter as much on a stiff bike.

Plus don't worry about the time to close the gap. If it gets closed it gets closed. worry more about overall the energy spent from the time you spin back up to the group or the time you mash back up almost to the group with the coast time to get there.

Firm believer that not all bikes ride the same and that's part of the enjoyment.

BamBam