Thread: GCN - Thots??
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
When I cast from my tablet or phone to the Roku it just mirrors the screen. I just tried it, I started the cast and then opened the YT app and the one on the tablet is definitely the one that's running on the TV.

But....I just noticed that there is a cast icon on the YT app (I never use it, I watch YT in a browser). When I cast by clicking it then it does start the YT app on the Roku. As long as you cast using the phone's cast link rather than the app's cast link it shouldn't start the app on the Roku.

You need an adapter which plugs into the USB port on the phone/tablet and has an HDMI on the other end. I used one for several years and it worked well. After quick search it seems that they are hard to find but this is available - https://www.amazon.com/Analogix-Semi...a-450120180904

I have a phone that will only cast via Chromcast. I absolutely hate it, it drops or locks up constantly. I have tried 2 different Chromecast dongles for the TV and both have done the same thing. There's no rhyme or reason to it, it may work for 2-3 weeks before it needs to be reset or may work fine for just 10 minutes.

Okay, so I tried a few other things. Originally I was using a Google Nexus tablet. There is a 'cast' feature in the system settings, but it didn't show any available devices. Some applications have their own 'cast' features, and the tablet's YouTube and Netflix Apps found my Roku and and my Tivo, and in these cases selecting 'cast' launched the YouTube or Netflix app on the casted to device.

Then I tried a Samsung tablet. Like with the Google tablet, casting from within an app caused the same app to launch on the Roku or Tivo. But instead of a 'cast' feature in the system settings, it had a Screen Mirror function. This function found the Roku, and when connected to the Roku, what was shown on the Samsung tablet screen showed up on the Roku screen. But when I tried to play video, there was a lot of stuttering and freezing with low-res video, and with high-res video all I got was spinning circles.

So, no luck yet.

But then I managed to borrow a Chromecast. The Google Nexus tablet found the Chromecast in the 'cast' system settings (but not the Roku), while the Samsung tablet did not find the Chromecast in the 'Screen Mirror' feature (but did find the Roku). So, I tried connecting the Nexus tablet to the Chromecast. This combination was able to play hi-def video (or perhaps it was just near-hi-def). But the sound was out of synch with the video. This would be very annoying if watching a movie, but maybe not as noticeable when watching race coverage, as the voice over announcers are rarely on video. So this might be a viable option, until GCN launches a FireStick or Roku app.