View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
What sort of typical PDA functions does the Iphone have? I'm used to a Palm device with typical calendar, address book, to do list, etc, and it syncs up with my PC application. I assume the Iphone has something of the sort. How good is it and does it sync with a non-apple pc?

If the PDA functions are good, I may get one in another year or two - wait for the second generation and wait for my current contract to run out. I like what I've seen of the web browser. I don't need a lot of email function from my phone, but a basic ability to get to my business gmail account would be good. I don't use an Ipod, either, so that part would probably go unused. I have a bunch of music purchased from non-Apple sites in non-Apple formats that I don't think I could play on an ipod, so I'd probably just keep the phone and music functions separate.

-Ray
The iphone has all the calendar, contact, to do list (Notes) and syncs fine with a PC. As noted I don't own a Mac and use Outlook on my PC. The sync works perfect for contacts and calendar when you load it onto the holder and direct it to sync. I also had no issue when starting the iphone and syncing all my old contacts out of Outlook. My only issue issue is that unlike a BB where your large employer has installed their software, the device doesn't record emails done on the laptop and iphone exactly. I run email on the iphone from a personal account as this is a personal device.

I think it is wrong to say an iphone is not a business device. Its only real failing is in email and only if your employer installs the software and everybody runs the BB. I've been a BB user for 5+ years and will have to say that I've never created a spreadsheet on the device and don't even know if you can. Opening and looking at docs is possible but painful on any device but no better on any of them. Ulitmately it is a notification that you need to fire up the laptop and really see what it is in the document. Web browsing is certainly much faster with wi-fi but not unbearable without it on the iphone. And the ease of reading way offsets the limited additional speed of G3 on the other devices. Try reading cyclingnews.com, nytimes.com or any other busy site with columns on another device - painful. As I said my company gives out any model BB you want and you'd be surprised how many folks also carry an iphone as well. If you are a road warrior you'll especially enjoy it. Would l like the iphone to be G3 - you bet. Would I like them to make it an open platform so you could add apps - definitely. But like when the BB first came out for email, the iphone is revolutionary and will hopefully get the other hardware makers to think about what can be done on one great device. (No I don't own Apple stock.)