View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM
Biohazard

The "magic sauce" for me was, and still is, the bike itself regardless of make and model. First ten speed ride was euphoric and no less euphoric now when I get on a "new" bike.
The first "real" race bike I got was a 10 year old Colnago Super; it was just a bike to me with odd named parts. A couple decades later when at a bike shop for maintenance someone said how "valuable" it was; yes, extremely valuable to me because it was my most reliable form of transportation. I then found out what I had and what the odd named parts were all about. That did change my perception in that I didn't necessarily think I had the best bike made, albeit others thought so; but that I was proud to be able not just to ride, but also own a piece of cycling history. At that point I went from being a rider/maintainer to a rider/preservationist. Riding that same bike for nearly 35 years and I get the same feeling as I originally did on first ride, wish my body felt the same way!
After riding different Colnago models (Super, Super Piu, Nuovo Mexico, Asso) I have enjoyed them all, most not even my optimal fit; but I have ridden enough bikes by other builders and have been no less satisfied with bikes of comparable design, use, and components. And still a thrill each time I get on a different "magic" ride, be it Colnago, Gios, Raleigh, etc. Probably why I have a bunch of frames and parts; rebuild and a new thrill.
As far as some of the "history" as to who invented/developed/produced/popularized certain design/materials breakthroughs; I thought the Colnago "Volo" was the first CF monocoque frame in production (I know they made an earlier CF frame, but not for open purchase), or was it just a prototype. I still have an "NOS" Colnago Carbitubo frame and Colnago "Saronni" "Criterium" Aero frame to build up. Can't wait to try them out.

Many great comments and thoughts here; Thanks

Last edited by HPL; 01-31-2020 at 01:00 AM.