View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Has he changed his process recently?

When I had all my D2 shoes made by him, he would use standard lasts and would "customize" them for each customer by adding pieces of molding clay to them to get the shape needed. These bits of clay would sit in a box for each customer but there was no single last sitting on a shelf that was an exact facsimile of one person's foot.

I was under the impression that this is what he is still doing.

I think I recall him doing 3D plaster molds of customer feet when he left D2 but he seemed to stop doing that pretty quickly and reverted back to the method he employed at D2.
Don has lasts in multiple widths for each foot length, or size, that he customizes to accommodate each riders’ needs. Keeping lasts for each individual customer isn’t necessary. The insoles are created using an Amfit system (https://amfit.com/), which is a computerized system that scans the crush boxes and creates digitized images that Don manipulates and modifies as necessary to address a riders particular needs. The Amfit system then mills and fabricates the insoles. The digitized scans are saved, along with the customer’s other fit information, and can be used by Don to build additional shoes and insoles for the customer.