View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 PM

Don't Try To Flip, Try To Buy Cheap Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreng58 View Post
Hey guys.
I'm looking for a titanium road frame to ride with a group but would like to buy a brand that has good resale value.
Background: I currently ride a old 90s Trek with old 90s parts and am the ugly duckling in the group.
This bike will be my biggest investment to date because I plan on putting aero wheels and a new groupset onto a titanium frame.
If possible I'd like to stretch my purchasing dollar on a titanium brand that holds its value over several years in case I plan on selling.
Titanium is nice because it is the most durable material besides steel on a bike and the bikes seem to hold its value longer than carbon or aluminum.
Question: Can anyone help give me tips about which brands to buy?
I've gotten mixed reviews from other forums from other people feeling something more unique like titanium/carbon seatstays from Airborne, or something made by a veteran frame maker like K Bradford, or something more common like a Lynskey for more name brand recognition will have a higher resale value.
Any advice is helpful at this point.
The new and used bike market has been and is saturated. There's more options than ever too, disc, electronic shifting, gravel/road. It has made for a great secondary market to buy, not so much to sell.

Buy used. Look at every site you can that has used titanium bikes. You'll see pretty quick that someone's dream is now a steal. Buy that person's financial mistake and save your money.

Season is coming to a close, you'll see quite a bit for sale from now till spring.