View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 12:59 AM

I have recently started using sealant as a preventative measure in “used” tubular - tires of a pair with previous puncture and/or heavily worn.

These tires for me then serve more gravel related duties. As an example - I am running a pair of slightly abused 28 mm Vittoria Corsas where I had a small puncture in the back -and a nice rip to a sidewall. I filled both with sealant and popped on a road bike I use when riding mixed gravel / road rides. Makes me feel a lot more confident and I get the pleasure of extending the life of these tires.

I have not started a practice of adding sealant to newly mounted tubulars - as I think it is overkill and think the benefit of feel / weight penalty is not worth it. And fresh tubulars get road duty where the used ones with sealant get rougher duties.

I however always have a reserve with me when riding tubulars as opposed to more sealant. I would not want to end up in a situation where I was reliant on sealant only to get me home and sealant plus an extra tube is just too much to carry for a road ride. But maybe this will change as my experience changes!