Thread: Pasta
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Marron

Ronzoni

Ronzoni is still the best dried pasta available in the US so I'd start there. This opinion has been confirmed a couple of times by comparisons in Cooks Magazine which accepts no advertising and seems to have taste similar to mine so it must be right.

All bottled sauces are abominations with too much sugar and other gunk to come anywhere close to real sauce.

Here is a longtime favorite of mine that is a heart healthy nightmare but somehow manages to achieve a great tomato flavor with canned tomatoes.

To serve 4 Americans or 8 Italians.

1 lb Perciatelli Pasta (no substitution allowed!)
4 slices of meaty salt pork, diced
1/4 - 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
salt to taste
Pecorino Romano Cheese

Start your water boiling in a 6qt pot and begin sauteing the diced salt pork in the olive oil with hot pepper flakes to taste. Use a saute pan large enough to accomodate the sauce and pasta combined. Cook the salt pork until some of the fat is rendered and it begins to crisp. Add the entire contents of the can of tomatoes to the salt pork and begin cooking your pasta. Reduce the tomotoes quickcly add salt if neccessary. When the pasta is nearly done drain and add to sauce for final cooking. Sauce should cling pasta with little or no liquid left in pan. Serve with grated Pecorina Romano cheese.