View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
That's a great question. Historically I tend to like climber-types rather than sprinter-types, so when MVdP and WVA came up as rivals, I guess I just went with Wout. I've never disliked Mathieu. But it's not until his yellow jersey exploits and this MSR that I've really felt drawn to him as a fan.

If you're a fan, I can easily understand why.
I don't race anything these days, and definitely not cyclocross, but I love watching it. At the CX worlds this year Van der Poel and Van Aert took off after half a lap to drop the rest of the field, and then attacked each other off and on over the rest of the race. To watch the TV side view of them going up that hill was stunning. Most of the time Van der Poel led, but occasionally Van Aert (if I remember correctly). It wasn't steep, and not overly long, but wow. Just. Wow.

2023 CX WC highlights:

1:05 - up the hill, on the first lap of 10; how fast are they going on those low pressure tires?
1:50 - up the hill again
3:30 - Van Aert goes to the front
3:55 - SPRINT!!!!!!

That finishing sprint, on low pressure tires... Holy Cannoli!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2iwAMj_Y54

It's awesome to watch either of them, and an almost guilty pleasure to watch them compete against each other in a race to which they're both suited and on form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
We are lucky bums to get to watch this racing action. What an amazing cast of characters.
This.

Last edited by reuben; 03-20-2023 at 04:48 PM.