View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 PM

I love all of the technology advancements that have taken place. When I got out of law school and wanted to change something in a document the whole document was retyped. Later I worked for a restaurant company where an office of about 15 people shared one computer. Now I live on my phone and use zillions of apps and send docusigns almost daily.

The downside is I cannot put my phone down. If I am waiting in line at a fast casual restaurant I am looking at my phone. If I am watching tv I am still searching the web or looking at emails. I feel like I never relax. Clients expect to be able to contact me by text almost 24 hrs a day.

Phones and social media have likewise had positive and negative influences on the news. I can get news immediately, but usually it is not news I need immediately. I don't need to know about every bus crash or other accident in a foreign country or other part of the US. I do not need to know about the lives of celebrities. I think it is really difficult to be in the news business as someone is going to post about a situation before you can verify the information. News sources that do not worry about their reputations will post immediately and pay for stories. And in-depth verified news has less value today as people are looking for sound bites. So I do not follow a lot of news. I have a few streaming services and a TV antenna but I do not watch any tv news.

I listen to some sports news in the car and it amazes me how they can take 15 minutes to talk about something that is worth one minute. They are just trying to fill up the space.

I don't like the fact that with technology people are videoing everything that someone is doing. I also don't care if someone did something wrong as a youth. I don't want elected officials who have never made a mistake. On the other hand I do not understand why anyone who run for office in this day and age. You are giving up your privacy and your life. i stated quite a few years ago that I did not think I would ever see a candidate for president that I would want to vote for. So far this is true. I register as an independent but that does not have much value in a country with essentially a two party system.

It worries me where technology is taking us.

Jeff