View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
think you will dig this story Colker...via the market...so a friend of mine, charlie leduff, did a thing in china touring with robert frank the photographer...some big show...for a story in vanity fair etc or something...anyhow, called charlie and asked about getting Frank's addy and sending him some books to sign...he was a notorious guy who didn't sign...Frank used to live in Vermont as well...so packed up 5 copies of the americans and wrote bob a letter...told him I was a working mailman and needed a new lawn mower...a rider...so if he could sign the books I would be selling one but what the hell...Bob signed all of them and sent back...I sold one of them the next day on ebay for a grand and had my new riding mower sent over....wrote bob back...he loved it...the other 4 copies are for when my roof goes and for the wife...that's art...
Exactly: art is there to free ourselves from whatever misery we are stuck in. Be it financial or existential.
I heard some nice similar stories from Damien Hirst. I donĀ“t know if i like his art but seems he is a good guy. He takes people in need under his wing and helps them w/ his work. Like he meets a gallerist in Mexico and the guy is broke. So Hirst gives him sales exclusivity and the guy goes to the top.
Artists can and should do it: value the fragile powerless and ignore the powerfull.