View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Without going down too far into the rabbit hole, I could use some advice on a quality 8” chef knife. I’ve been looking at the Wustolf Classic but wondering if I’m paying more for the name and if there’s better options known by those in the know. This will be a Christmas gift for my wife who loves to cook and will be replacing an old inexpensive chef knife. Whatever the he brand we will probably stick with that and slowly build up a complete set.
I have had a full block of Wustolf Classic since the late 80s. They are work horse knifes for sure. That said, I strongly prefer and use my Shun and Global knives on a regular basis.

This is the knife I recently gifted my brother in law chef in Boston. He loves it. He takes it to work.

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/kanso-8-in-chef

Japanese knives have a better blade angle. Generally 20 degrees, vs 28 degrees. Simply a nice edge.

I also really prefer knives like this one that have an angled bolster. I have found the hand feel is so much better with knives of this design.

I picked this one out because it is meant to be a simple knife with no extra adornment and it was for a professional chef. Any quality Japanese 8" Chef's knife with an angled bolster and a grip that suits your preferences, will likely be fine. Shun makes great knives so I stand behind most of their lines. From a handle perspective, there tends to be the Euro style like the Wustolf Classic and Japanese style, but some brands like MAC, do make Japanese knives with a Euro style handle if that is your preference.

Finally, by all means get a set if you like, however a 8" Chefs knife and a great paring knife go a long way. Serrated knives for example can be of lesser quality and you do not really lose anything.

Another recommend, while not strictly 8", this is the knife (Global G-4) I recommend to people getting started in cooking more seriously who want a good knife at a reasonable price. It is a great and well balanced knife and value for the cost. I have been using one in my mix for about 20 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Global-G-4-7-.../dp/B00005OL45

Finally, if you get serious, get a Whetstone. I have seen too many knives butchered in sharpening by even reputable shops and I no longer trust my knives to anything other than my stone. Once in a great while I use the stone and maintain with the honing steel.