View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
Thanks, Oliver. The plan is to resto-mod the bike. I'll keep it as original as possible, with the exception of certain items. No value in vintage cables, right? (housing...???)

I will repaint the frame a period correct shade of silver add new / correct decals, deep clean / lightly polish the good parts, replace some the worn parts with correct NOS components. Maybe do some 'drillium' on the brake levers and chainrings.

I will likely sell the bike with two sets of wheels. I plan to keep the current tubular wheels original, but also build a NOS set of Nuovo Record hubs with period correct clinchers for someone who might actually want to ride the bike.

The bike is in great shape as-is, but I've never ridden it (too small), and it deserves to be restored to it's former glory and owned by someone who likes to ride / own vintage bikes. I'm mostly a full-sus MTB rider these days...

I will probably do a professional photo shoot of the bike afterwards for a keepsake, and a framed copy for the buyer.
I'm surprised that you are going to do that much work on a bike that is too small for you to ride, but it's great to see that level of commitment for the project. I wish I had something to contribute. I do have some NOS 144 BCD Super Record rings. Also some nice used Sugino rings that are already drilled. Too bad that your wheels are tubular, as I have a half built pair of wheels with high flange NR hubs and NOS Record Crono tubular rims.

Let us know if you find a serial number on the fork. I associate that seat tube decal with early to mid 1980s but none of my catalogs show it. I have a catalog from 1986 or 1987 (pictured). Club Specials were still being made then, but all the pictures in the catalog show the chevron decal style which definitely came later than the ones on your frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1987-QQQ.jpg (71.4 KB, 133 views)