View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 02:18 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Malibu canyons. Ride/drive up PCH and take your pick. Many are easily linked. You'll find nothing better. Anywhere.

If I were choosing: ride Latigo and go from there.

Another fav or mine: Park at Zuma Beach. From there ride west (left) on PCH. Up Encinal Canyon (connecting Decker) to Mulholland. Turn left and ride Mulholland all the way back down to PCH and then back to Zuma. If you like great, fast, tech descents...go down Decker to PCH. Hang on tight.
Here's something concrete along the above lines for you to get a better sense: https://www.strava.com/activities/2886499518

The loop that begins around mile 22, at the base of Latigo Canyon (where the photo is), would be about 50 miles and 7k of elevation. I, too, if forced to do only one climb, would choose Latigo -- challenging but not brutal, gorgeous views and very light traffic.

There is fresh pavement on Mulholland to PCH and it's closed to through traffic, so a great descent (or climb if you reverse), but watch out for gravel and rocks in the road since it's not swept. There is also fresh pavement on Yerba Buena, though only after ~3 miles of pretty poor road surface, but that fresh section is stunning. And my route includes the Decker descent -- some tight turns so be alert, but you'll have the feeling of being about to fall into the ocean.

If I were doing this route I'd probably park at Trancas (mile 66.6) in order to get a nice long warmup before climbing, and also to finish where you can get food & drink.

There are not as many water stops as there used to be. You can fill up at Leo Carillo, where Mulholland hits PCH (mile 45.9), or just up the road if Neptune's Net is open (mile 47.6). There is also a water fountain at the fire station near the top of Decker Rd. (mile 60). (To be clear: I'm referencing mileage along the entire Strava route above but not suggesting the whole thing, just the 50 mile loop beginning around mile 22.)

Last edited by cgolvin; 12-09-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: clarification