View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 12:37 PM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742
a few details, though, please:

what bike did you ride and what gearing did you select?

what was your best moment? and yes, your worst moment?

what were your fellow riders like?

how did you feel the next day?

thanks! and once again, well done.
Climb:

Thanks for the kind words (and thanks BBD for posting the pic and taking the legal burden on yourself ). Gearing was an interesting choice. I had agonized over whether to go compact on my Hampsten, since 53-39, 13X29 is normally a good compromise for me. I prefer 48/34, 12-27 for rides with lots of climbing, but the 13X29 comes close. I had noticed, though, that I would end up riding so much in the 39X29 or 34X27 towards the end of double centuries or other epic rides and still struggle to impose my own cadence, that I broke down and got a Chorus CT a week before Ventoux. Since I had ridden outdoors all of six times this year (yep, the trainer can be a friend), I felt it would at least ease my mind. I had the experience of hitting climbs that "averaged" 10% for 10km, but were more like 15% for the last 6km and 5% for the first four, and then it's just a grind.

Anyway, I rode the Hampsten (see pic: BTW, the Legend has done my last three epic rides, so it was time for Z1 to get out, too), and I have to say it was worth it for La Ventoux. Not that I absolutely needed a 34X29. Far from it. I found myself often in the 34X23 and mostly in the 34X26 during the steep 10km section to Chalet Reynard. The gradient never lets up, but is never more than 12% and mostly 9.5-10.5%. What it did allow me to do was dictate my cadence rather than the other way around. I rode at 70-80 the whole way up and had a much better feeling in my legs than usual (but boy was I knackered). I did notice that some folks passed me on the descent pedaling a big gear on the straights when I was spinning out, but who cares when you can tuck and hit 50+ mph! As for the Campy system, I have to say it shifts absolutely flawlessly, the PMP is close but not quite there even with only a 14 tooth jump.

Best moment: Honestly, cresting Ventoux on that gorgeous day and descending without as much as a wind vest or arm warmers ... Unlike other rides where I am most concerned about time, if I had to stop after Maulacene it still would have been a ride to cherish.

Worst moment: Realizing that either I sweat and eat too much or this ride didn't provide enough water/food! It was disappointing to think I was bonking when it could have easily been avoided. California Triple Crown events and the Dolomite Marathon have spoiled me with support.

Fellow riders: Mostly very fit cycling enthusiasts happy to share a pull, a smile, and some stinky cheese. There were really some fit guys there, though there was no vibe like you get around the Maratona, Marmotte, or GF Campagnolo with the quasi-pros that start first and often slink away if there is a drug control (Italy). Here it was just 1200+ cycling enthusiasts. The Maratona is wonderful and does not allow private sags and support the quasi-pros get in other Italian gran fondos (Rumsas "won" the Nove Colli this year), but it is still a massive undertaking where I will be starting in the last grid since I don't have an Italian license or a qualifying time from the past two years. Anyone who wants to test themselves on Ventoux can choose the 170km, 102km, or 21 km Grimpee du Ventoux the next day and never feel held up or alone on the course. In short, the event organization exceeded my expectations!

The next day: It might have had something to do with a bottle of Gigondas, some Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise, and a Marc de Provence, but I had a bit of a headache and my legs were a bit sore!

I can not say I met your Mt. Washington criteria of leaving 110% on the course, but I tried to push as much as I could without cracking totally. The Polar data shows I spent over 4 hours between 80-90% of my MHR, and only about 10% of the time above that, so the pacing went fine. If I ever get past enough of the 5000 cyclists starting in front of me in the Dolomites to ride my own pace (and can train at least once every 3-4 days ), I will push myself to a new level of pain on the Giau and Falzarego passes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-Jeff Mt V.jpg (117.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg mini-Jeff Finish 2.jpg (102.1 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by jeffg; 06-15-2005 at 01:15 PM.