View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 PM

me too!

I am interested in any replies that you receive as we, too, will be moving to the Phoenix AZ metro area within the next year and I'm looking for kind of a “lay of the land “ perspective. It appears from my cursory inspection that most of the cycling is on the east side, Scottsdale/Mesa or closer into Phoenix proper. We are retired and will be looking at Queen Creek/Florence (Merrill Ranch), Buckeye or Peoria, all south or on the west side. We currently live in the Sandhills area (Pinehurst) of North Carolina although we moved here a couple of years ago from Reno Nevada and are from Northern California, both the Bay Area and then north of Sacramento.

I generally ride alone unless I make a riding buddy, but I'm not much of a shop or group rider. I do like the occasional organized/supported rides, although not as many centuries any more but certainly metrics. In spite of being 70, I still manage 5K+ miles a year.

I'm looking for a sense of road cycling in the areas I mentioned, I like to ride out of my garage and put in 30 to 50 miles in a circuit. I don't mine throwing my bike in my car and driving to a start place but it would be great to avoid it as it cuts into riding time.

Is there an area that has greater access to road riding...area that is safer that others?....I don't mind hills or climbing so elevations are unimportant. Anything I should know?, animals?, flats?..

There have been some answers on other forums but mostly they relate to the Tucson area.

I've gone through this before as we have moved and unfortunately, I've ended up mostly finding my rides on my own.