View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 04:45 AM

1. I'm my own boss
2. I enjoy the work I do (this is HUGE - everything else comes in second)
3. I still get to work with really good people, but I don't have to deal with the jerks everyday (no offense to the Jerk, who is clearly a different kind of jerk).
4. My commute is down one flight of stairs, through the kitchen, and into the office.
5. The work and money seem to be flowing, despite having just started this 'business' a couple of months ago.
6. Extremely casual dress (pajamas would work), except when I have meetings.
7. Very flexible schedule - rare is the nice day that I can't get out and ride for at least a couple of hours.

Dislikes:

1. I'm my own boss - sometimes nice to have the buck stop somewhere else.
2. Lack of social aspects of an office (including the babes in the lunch room and that I used to run into in the hall)
3. Miss the professional perks of an office - really good people to bounce ideas off of at a moments notice.
4. Home used to be my refuge - now my bike is the only refuge. But this isn't because of working at home - this is because home is crazy right now and working here makes it worse because I'm never forced to get away. In a couple of years, I think it'll work as both an office and a refuge again. I hope.

Edit, per EF's request - I'm a land use / transportation planner. Have worked for private consulting firms and public agencies for 20+ years. Now work for my own 1-person consulting firm. I work with local governments (which thanks to PA's balkanized system of local government, there are LOADS of - 73 in my county alone) on Comprehensive Plans, zoning ordinances, traffic calming, bicycle / pedestrian planning, etc. Never a dull moment. Trying to help stop sprawl - losing the battle in new and creative ways every day!

-Ray

Last edited by Ray; 04-20-2006 at 07:24 AM.