View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
From the Effetto Mariposa Carogna site:

Wide temperature range resistance (while in use)
IMPORTANT: when gluing a tubular with Carogna tape, the workshop temperature should be between 21°C and 38°C (70 to 100°F). At that temperature, 80% of the adhesive strength is reached after 8 hours, 99% after 24 hours. Proper adhesion cannot take place at temperatures below 10°C/50°F.

Carogna glue is pressure-activated, so it bonds very strongly when it’s pushed down against the rim by the tubular pressure (for this reason, for road tubulars, we recommend inflating tubulars to their max pressure and allowing some time before riding: adhesion reaches 80% of its maximum strength after 8 hours, the optimal value of 99% after 24 hours). As most cyclocross tubulars don’t allow a very high maximum pressure, Carogna might need a longer time before the optimal adhesion takes place. This depends also on the finishing/surface of the tubular base tape.
We’ve been reported cases where cyclocross tubulars were not glued yet after 8 hours, but perfectly so allowing one more day at maximum pressure.

How about you are giving up a portion of that weight advantage using tape and your tubular price deal just went out the window with more costly tape. Please video that five minute install for us when you put them together, I would like to see it.
??? Not really sure what you are questioning. You roll the tape on leaving excess liner over the edge of the rim. You put on the tubular, straighten it, pump in some air, and then pull out the liner tape carefully. Pump it up to at least 100 psi and done. What's the question?

Yes you leave them sit as you would gluing . My point is no multiple coats of glue, no letting the coats set up, no struggling to straighten the tire, no glue clean up, etc, etc. Of course you do miss out on Pete's tripping experience.
For some that may make it a no go. LOL!

The "taping" process is very quick and super simple. This whole thread honestly reeks of a "holier than though" theme from some. I say anything that get's people out riding is good. Oh and I do glue tires sometime too, no big deal. Taping is just simpler and works for me in a lot of situations.

Pretty funny that I'm the old school, "steel is real" guy but advocating for tape. Guess I'm just open-minded and all that.

Heck anything I can do to shorten time wrenching to give me time riding I'm going to do.