View Single Post
Old 12-21-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I finally hit the road on these new 55mm wheels this morning, a two-plus hour ride in very hilly/steep foothills terrain.

Right out of the door in cold, almost foggy conditions, braking was effective but a bit noisy initially, some kind of abrading sound and a chirpy noise accompanied by somewhat abrupt braking force.

I headed downhill for a while early on, heading to my club's ride, with a few fast descents that required sustained braking, and the braking sound and response quickly became completely normal. It's not unusual for damp air to induce a bit of chirp and grabbiness before some heat restores the pad surfaces to normal, and the rim surface seemed to have broken in and smoothed out after just a few hard stops heading downhill.
That's about all I have to report, other than that I did find myself rolling up on a much heavier rider going downhill, something that I found unfamiliar.
I attribute that to the aero benefit of deep rims, at least to the extent that it became noticeable. This was subtle, but happened more than once.
I stopped to take a couple of pictures on my way home from the club's ride.

Those look nice! It sounds like they are better than you thought they would be.