View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 03:52 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
one thing to consider is that "rolling coal" MAY not always be an intentional act.

unless the truck is newer and tuned just right, generally speaking when you step on the go pedal quickly the air/fuel ratio goes rich and black smoke pours out.

I can picture a plausible scenario where a truck may slow down to give a cyclist some space and wait for oncoming traffic to make a wide berth in order to pass, and then, after slowing down creating black smoke while trying to accelerate quickly and safely pass the cyclist as oncoming traffic allows.

of course many times it is intentional, but maybe not every time.
Just kicking some smoke at you isn't the same. If there's any doubt, it's not "rolling coal."

---

I'd gone my entire cycling life without having ever been successfully rolled-coal upon (couple guys made half-assed failed attempts over the many years), until about two months ago. Now it's happened several times, and I've had things thrown at me, been shouted at, gravel very deliberately kicked up at me, and more. And what's worse, it seems to happen with higher frequency when I ride with my girlfriend than when I'm alone, and she won't even ride alone anymore because of how badly she gets harassed on her own- one guy a couple months ago even driving right at her head-on as if to hit her, before veering off honking and screaming at her.

It feels like there's been some kind of attitude shift out there. Bullying is suddenly cool. Was zur hölle?