View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Thanks all.

Some tech factoids:

1. If you want to go this route, be sure to consider whether the smaller chainrings will be compatible with whatever FD mount you may have. The Jaegher has a brazed on fitting and I had to . . . modify it a bit with a file (a few mm) in order for the FD not to be too high above the chainrings. I seem to have gotten it just right because the FD shifts very well. I need to futz around with the fine tuning a bit more, but that's pretty normal. The 12 speed FDs operate a bit differently from the 11 speed FDs, btw, with the ability to trim the FD inward with one click when you're in the bigger cogs in back, and I don't have that down perfectly yet. If you have a band around the seat tube for your FD you'd be golden.

2. Chain length on the mechanical 12 speed for Record and Super Record is governed by chain stay length. Neither Record nor SR have the 48/32 combo, however, and it may come out that you need to shorten a new chain by another link in order for the RD to have enough tension. They do not mention any of this yet in Campy's manuals, btw, so I'm flying a little blind and using the R and SR chain length. But in the small/small combination the RD it's seemingly impossible to get the RD adjusted so that the cage very slightly points down, i.e., with the rear idler wheel lower than the top one. I may be missing something so will be fine tuning this.

More to come, I'm sure. Tim
Tim once again thank you for the very informative post. I am thinking on how my new gravel setup will be. I been a Campy guy all my life but had to go to Sram for my current ride as Campy was simply not there with bike design development. This new Chorus is very promising. I have a question for you for which you might or might not have an answer. Do you think a 11-36 cassette would fit? Is the spacing between cogs similar to Sram or Shimano 12 speed? a 48/32 front chainrings coupled with 11-36 will really make the setup suitable for the gnarliest gravel.
thank you