View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Echappist,

That’s good timing. Still blonding early though.

Do you weigh your espresso doing into the filter basket? If you aren’t guaranteeing a consistent dose you are introducing another variable to the equation. I use a 15 dollar scale from amazon. Until you go this you can’t blame the grinder. I forget what you are using for a grinder.

Early blonding can be caused by channeling. You might try stirring the coffee with a tip of a paper clip after grinding. Then level using Stockfleth’s maneuver, a turning if the basket as you level with a finger. I like to do all my basket prep out of the portafilter then drop in to the portafilter when ready to brew. I pull out the spring clip in the portafilter to make this easier.

BTW, yes I am insane.

Jon
Hi Jon,

Many thanks for the advice. Yes, I am weighing the grounds (on a scale claiming accuracy down to 0.1 g), both before grinding and afterwards. However, I think you are spot-on re: channeling. You could even observe a little bit of it in the video, as the position of the drip changed during the shot. There's a lot of clumping on my machine (Baratza Virtuoso Preciso), and I think the channeling comes with the territory, so to speak. May be time for me to change grinders.

Jim

PS. You are not insane. You are a great resource to this community with your contributions