View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 09:28 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Echappist,

I'd say that shot is way too fast and underextracted, just my opinion though. I timed it and it was 11 seconds, unless you speeded the video. Note how blond it is at the end. My goal is 30grams of espresso in 30 seconds from 18 grams of coffee. My Slayer allows prolonged preinfusion at line pressure before initiating full pump pressure, so I preinfuse at line pressure until I see drops on the bottom of portafilter and then go to full pump pressure. I don't count that 25 seconds of preinfusion in my 30 seconds. If you don't have that option, then I'd want to see drops on the bottom of basket in 5-6 seconds and get your 30 grams of coffee in 30 seconds. You don't need preinfusion for great espresso. It just helps get the bright sweet notes from light roasted coffees, especially Africans.

Without preinfusion, I'd stick with more classic Italian espresso blends.
Brazil/Central Americans/maybe 10% robusta (though that is really just for crema). Or maybe a Mocha/Java blend. Or maybe some single origin Centrals.

Try tightening your grinder a little until your shot slows down. If you are trying to do espresso from Africans go further until your shot slows to 45 seconds. I know some baristas who do pretty well with that on the Africans.

Jon

Jon - you are down in Monterey, right? I think that you need to offer to host an "all things espresso" morning where you teach us NorNal guys/gals these things. Latte art too. Then we ride!