View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM

2018 potential new build: Ultegra R8000 vs Chorus?

I guess wading into another political topic, but musing over a potential new (theoretical) build.

Now the New and Improved (tm!) Shimano ultegra R8000 is out...this has reignited the debate in my mind between building w/ this vs. Chorus 2015+. From what I can tell, they both are excellent.

At any rate. Ultegra R8000 set can be had for ~$350 less than Chorus, but is a smidge heavier. I guess maybe it comes down to aesthetics, shifter shape, levers and feel, and whether or not you can have a 32t cassette as well...

At any rate, my experiences on current/former bikes have been:

Ultegra 6800 - my usual bike - I like it a lot (probably also b/c most fastidiously maintained). super quiet, nice snappy shifts.
Ultegra R8000/disc - good, but I feel like it still needs to be "broken in". Getting better over time as noise gremlins get worked out.
Campy Athena 11 - actually pretty good once I got the LBS to readjust the RD. Shifts "Snappy" as has been described re: campy, and also very very quiet.
Campy Record 10s - tbh not as good as athena, but I suspect I need to get it serviced...

Please reprimand me if I inadvertently start another flame war...

ps as an aside... I also suspect I may have found out the deal re: shimano crank failures...the FD has very little clearance inside the crank, and if the cable is too slack will score the inside of the shimano cranks just where all the Internet pictures show breakages....

Last edited by tylercheung; 01-23-2018 at 06:26 PM.