View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Crazy Chris

Name: Chris. The Crazy part came from scout camp near Copake, NY way back in the last century.

Avatar: Don't anymore since I quit smoking. Actually, I consider my computer skills to be a joke.

Reside: In Outer Durango, CO, for the last 34 years, long before it received the Bicycle Friendly City designation.

Age: 71. I had a heart "episode" in 1997 with angioplasty and stents installed. As a vegetarian who exercised and hadn't smoked in years I received no lectures on changing life style.

Occupation: Retired technical publications writer for the Federal Government. Before that, a graduate student and former college instructor who tired of Freshman English and tiresome colleagues.

Bicycles: A 1991 Merckx Team Forum, now painted Molteni orange. A Bridgestone MBZip converted to a road bike because I continued crashing on the mountain bike version. A 2000 Serotta Hors Categorie, my primary bike because I don't want to wear out the Merckx.

Favorite Rides: Anywhere from my house. What goes up must come down. What goes down must come up.

Fastest Ride: Down Hesperus Hill west of Durango with a tailwind--55 mph. Could have been faster, but I was afraid to look.

Mileage: Last year, 5800. A few years ago I had over 8000 miles 3 years' running. Became too much of a chore.

Cross Training: I keep meaning to take up running/race (?) walking, but don't seem to care. Used to run and even ran seven marathons, including Boston in 1974, but too many people I know have had replacement surgery, so....

I do enjoy the forum. Please keep informing me.