View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 09:05 AM
litcrazy

I'm considering a Waltly option for a ATB leaning, custom gravel bike with a shorter reach, higher stack and massive tire clearance.

I just rode the White Rim in a day, and took my rigid Chumba, since my BMC Road+ only fits a 48-52mm tire in back if I want any clearance. I live in Albuquerque and so for much of the gravel I ride, 27.5"/2.25-2.35 would be ideal with an option for 2.6."

As I shorten the front, I'm inclined to lengthen the back in order to keep more balance and keep more weight on the front wheel. I'm 6'2", so I'm going the other direction of many and looking at 455mm chainstays. It feels proportional to my frame size, and with a 72 seat angle, 70 head angle and 590 top tube, longer stays would work to keep the same front/rear proportion many builders like.

I'll ride my cross bike that fits 38mm tires when I want to feel frisky and ride this for chunky gravel rides. I find the pneumatic trail of a big tire (57mm in front) already, renders the front rather lethargic on pavement, even with the low trail of my Road+...

I have long femurs and like about a 10cm setback saddle nose to bottom bracket, so short chainstays means I don't feel in the bike as folks like to say. I borrowed son's Kona Big Honzo with 415mm chainstays and a 3" rear tire for some out of character for my steep mountain trail this weekend. It felt great on downhills with it's long, slackish front but my weight was clearly too far back for climbing. That tucked back would work better, I imagine, if I went all in on adapting to a very steeping seat/seatpost angle, but I don't prefer that for long rides (and long rides are what I prefer).

Even on road, I have a 1981 Trek 710 with 440mm chainstays and 32mm tires, and I'm always surprised how well it rides. It's not as quick as my Seven with 415mm chainstays and .5 steeper head angle, but it's no slouch. But I don't race or ride in packs, so my baseline agility preferences might be different (though I've ridden many a road bike with a 74 degree head angle).

Besides losing agility, is there something else I'm missing in this geometry equation? Riding the Kona felt like it only confirmed my inclinations (as kind of a limit case in the other direction).