View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
Just got caught up on this thread; you're taking a really thoughtful approach to this and there's been a lot of great commentary and suggestions as well! I have a couple thoughts to add:

I'm also running a 46t front ring, but with an XPLR 10-44 cassette. I did consider the full mullet setup, but I found the gearing jumps a bit too big for my preference. I will say that I'm primarily riding on pavement or dirt roads, so I don't mind foregoing the low-low gears. Same as you did I picked my chainring based on what would keep me in the middle of the cassette most of the time.

Forgive me if I've overlooked it, but have you considered a UDH rear dropout? I think that's a nice option for futureproofing, especially if you're going to be in the Sram ecosystem.

I'll be following this thread more closely now; I'm working on a similar design and we've got similar fit goals. Let me know if you need to need to test fit/performance on any of our roads up here in VT - I'd be happy to show you around!
Yeah, I am planning on using UDH on my frame given that it seems to be the new standard for the forseeable future. Will take the chance to try out the Transmission system as well to see how it is. I was definitely considering XPLR as well but ended up choosing a full mullet setup for more versatility (with my calculations, the gear jumps likely won't bother as much as the gear ratios fall close to most of my most heavily used gear ratios).

Thanks mate! I will hit you up if I get a chance to go up that way this summer, definitely want to do some riding up that way for sure.

Happy to chat/bounce ideas abt your build as well. I often find myself going in circle when thinking abt my build on my own so trying to bounce it off people here has been very helpful For a question I asked earlier in the thread, are you planning on T47 or BSA for your build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Another option for you could be to use a boost (148x12) rear hub.

I dont know how much that really the other factors of the design, but it would allow you to push the chainring/chainline out 3mm and give you more clearance. Your wheelset would be an oddball @ 100/148 instead of 100/142, so you'd either have a pain upgrading or selling down the road, but its an option.
That's an interesting thought that I haven't considered, will look into it more. My current plan is to keep my current wheelset which is 100/142 so it might complicate it a bit and I'd probably favor the "easy-to-replace" aspect of 100/142 for now.