Thread: On bias (NBD)
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2024, 08:00 PM
Vendor

Great post, and congrats on getting over your biases and actually trying stuff. It's amazing how good pretty much everything is these days, even the stuff that is less good than other stuff. I have come across exceptions, but it's hard to hate on the fun and function of quality bike components these days, and the frames themselves too.
Customers love to pick my brain on Sram vs Shimano vs Campagnolo, regarding the high-end stuff, and my answer is always this: Each one has a slight edge here or there over the other, but you simply can't complain about riding with any of them.

This is not to confirm that old incorrectly glib idiom that 'all high end bikes these days are pretty much the same.' Very far from it, most high end bikes I've ridden feel distinctly different from one another and I have strong preferences. But most are still *very* good and, if I wasn't spoiled for choice, I wouldn't complain about riding any of 'em.

Anyway, that's a tangent. Summary: Yeah, you're onto something, Feynman. Bias in cycling is often silly, especially bias without hands on experience. Exception: Aesthetics (ie. green) --but that's not really bias, it's preference.