View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 07:28 PM

Exclamation Same issue today, Scam attempt on CL before

Just today, I received a scam attempt on Pinkbike. I had ZIPPs and some bikes listed for sale.
What’s very weird is that the message I was sent through the ZIPP listing but it made reference to a bike, not the wheels.
I responded to their question.
Then I got a response about them paying by bank check for an amount greater than my asking price.
What they wanted to happen next is for movers to pick up the item and I was to hand them the difference of the amount I received.
This happened to me on Craigslist a few months ago.
They sent me a check that looked like a legitimate bank check from a landscaping company.
I decided to deposit the check to find out if it was legitimate.
I checked in with my bank to check the status of the deposit. I was told that they were able to cancel the check.
I never knew it was possible to cancel, or take back the money, from a deposited check. So I cancelled the scam.
Each of the messages I received were weird. They don’t make sense, they include long stories, they’re not specific for the item, and other atypical nonsense.
How is it possible that these guys concoct these goofy scams but can’t write a message that looks legit?
I also saw a listing for a Colnago on Craigslist that looked familiar to me. The pictures and the description were lifted off an existing eBay listing.
Be careful out there!