View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 05:00 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
sorry I missed that..

my riding impressions are mostly from North County, but I did commute to downtown (by the airport) and did a couple rides out in the Chula Vista area (the Olympic Center is cool to visit).. of course, getting in downtown SD is going to be traffic and lights.. and there are a few lights on Hwy 1 along the beach, but they aren't bad.. having lived in just about every part of the country other than the NE (visited Boston, Portland ME, and Newport RI), Florida (been there on vacation a lot as a kid and adult), or HI (spent a week in Hono a few years back, not roads I'd want to ride on mostly), I will hands down say that San Diego is the best place I've lived/ridden with Sonoma County being a close second.. both are just way too expensive to fully retire in..
If you're around downtown and up to say Mission Valley, the riding isn't all that much to talk about. East of Chula Juana and noth to Ramona, there isn't much traffic on a weekday.

East of the 5 and out to the 15 has a couple fun loops, but you're always in suburbia. I used to ride from College and the 78 (home) to the Boulevard RR course and back. I'd tow a buddy that was 130ish soaking wet to the bottom the hill then watch him ride away from me. Also used to ride from home to Escondido, back via the Elfin Forest (?Sunset?), then back up the coast to home. Fun downhill!

Rarely climbed up on the road north of Lake Hodges (once maybe?!) that the BWR uses these days.

Gravel wasn't a thing when I was there.

M