View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 08:30 AM
Sunshine

Commute bike pics- bikes to commute to work, stores, or whatever!

I rode to work today and realized I havent seen a dedicated commute bike thread on here.
Curious to see what people use to ride to work or errands and why the specific bike works best for that use.
Old bikes, folding bikes, ebikes, even recumbent bikes...if someone commutes on one.

I dont ride to work nearly as often as I wish I did. But when I do, it is just so nice and sets me in a different mood. My ride is between 7 and 11 miles each way, depending on which of the 4 good routes I take.

Bike-
- Black Mountain MonsterCross v4 that used to be my gravel frame. Most of the components were pulled from my old touring bike.
- 3x9 drivetrain with a 180mm Sakae crankset from the 80s, a Sora FD, an XT RD from the 90s, and some old Shimano bar end shifter.
- Current setup is a Swift Motherloaf bag sitting in a Soma Tanaka short height basket(Wald 139 size) zip tied to a Gorix rack that has been heavily modified with different stays and adjusted diving board tang.

Oddities-
- I put the 180mm cranks on just because I had em and wanted to see if I liked the difference. I dont really care one way or the other, so they have stayed. The bike is my least aggressive setup by far, but its also super comfortable.
- I have a 15" laptop to carry, so the larger basket and bag are useful. I do wish a smaller basket and bag were possible though.
- I used to commute with a single pannier on a rear rack. I like the current setup more, though the older setup was perfectly fine.