View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBROOKLYN View Post
The most desired option would be to have a 36 in the back. That requires a different freehub.. which is no big deal (I do all my own work).

But I currently have a SR 11 speed rear der.. late 2014. It is maxed out right now with an 11/32.

I am pretty sure that a road link would just create wrap problems. So I have to track down the right rear Der for this setup.

Some have spoken about using an Athena long cage..
Record 12 states it goes to 34.

I am going crazy trying to figure this out.. Now thinking Record 11 rear Der, Shimano 11-34 and a 48/32 crankset.

That gives me a ton of flexibility to swap cassettes back and forth... yeah more expensive but possibly the most elegant solution..
First generation (2014 and earlier) SR rear derailleurs were spec. for a 29 max. sprocket, and a 33 tooth capacity. You can often stretch it to 32 teeth, but 34 teeth may be too far, and it is unlikely that it can stretch to 36 teeth. An 11/32 cassette + 50/34 chainrings is a capacity of 37 teeth, which is already a stretch, and it may not have the capacity for an 11/34 cassette + 50/34, (39 teeth), and will certainly not have the capacity for an 11/36 + 50/34 (41 teeth). So even if using a road link to extend the maximum sprocket size, the 1st generation SR derailleur won't have the capacity to take up the chain slack.

An Athena long cage derailleur is spec.ed for 32 max. sprocket and a 40 tooth capacity. It can often be stretched to 34 teeth, but possible won't reach a 36 tooth sprocket. However, if should have plenty of capacity.

Campagnolo 11spd speed drivetrains aren't designed for particularly large gear ranges, so rather than widening your gear range, it might be better to simply lower the gear range (with smaller chainrings). This will still allow a meaningful amount of flexibility, as there are some cranksets that will accept chainrings from 44/28 to 52/36. As far as the most "elegant" solution, that would probably be swapping to a SR WRL crankset. This would have the "Super Record" graphics to match the rest of your drivetrain, and it has chainring options of 50/34, 48/32, and 45/29, allowing you to swap chainrings for different conditions.