View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspam View Post
Hopefully people still checking this thread

Any thoughts about the updated Flex Neo--now with pressure gauge?
https://flairespresso.com/product/neo-flex/

Never had an espresso machine of any sort and thinking this is a low investment option but was thinking of this vs the Wacaco Picopresso or Nanopresso. Again, never tried or tasted espresso from any of these devices. Just thinking I didn't want to buy a machine with assorted maintenance, etc (unless I just saw screw it and buy some super automatic Jura).
I would think, without any reason for thinking, that the Flair would be better than the Picopresso or the Nanopresso in terms of pulling better espresso shots. But if you are traveling with any of them then the smaller ones are obviously more portable, but using it every day for a year those smaller ones won't last.

The Picopresso if used every day has about a 2-year life expectancy; whereas the NanoPresso's average life is 7 years; the Flair Neo Flex is too new yet for any sort of life expectancy but the one problem I did learn about it is the pressure release valve inside the piston is designed to break if the grind is too fine. They do make replacement ones, so you would probably want to order the 2 pack for it just in case, the cost is only $4. The bad thing about some stupid small part breaking fairly easily is what happens if they stop making the Neo Flex and in the process stop making the part? Yup.

But that particular Flair is made of plastic, so even with it care will be needed while using it. That Flair makes smaller shots than other Flairs.

Personally, if I were you and was on a budget, I would cough up another $65 and get the Flair Classic instead, it's made of metal instead of polyplastic and will last a very long time, plus it pulls a larger shot. The only drawback to the Classic is that there is no pressure gauge, but with some practice, you should learn how to pull it correctly. They do sell a pressure gauge for it but for some reason, it's another $56 which seems sort of expensive for what it is, but if you want accurate shots out of the gate without wasting shots trying to learn then you might want it. So if you bought both at the same time you would be out $221 plus tax, but you would have a very good espresso maker, that will last decades, so in the long run, the Classic will be cheaper than any of the others.

I forgot to mention something. There is another manual arm machine on the market, it's called the ROK Expressogc, it cost $229, it's another one of those that will last decades. I might want to research it to see if you think it would be better than the Flair Classic for that price. The ROK is easier to clean.

Last edited by froze; 04-26-2024 at 11:14 PM.