View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 01:04 PM

Our family has both a mid drive and a hub drive E bike. Both 20 MPH max. While in theory the mid drive is the better choice, I find that in actual use, especially for my wife and daughter, they don't notice the difference. The hub drive adds 10 lbs or so to rear wheel, but if 5-6 lb battery in in down tube, that balances it out somewhat. And the mid drive wears out chains and other driveline parts much faster than hub drive. And with their body weight on them, not much difference just riding along. If I were getting an E bike for myself, for riding the trails and smooth roads, hub drive OK for me. If I was buying it for aggressive riding, would prefer the mid drive.

So while I prefer the mid drive, I don't think motor location makes as much difference as I expected...especially if just normal riding. I think your LBS is correct, advantages to both. and generally, hub drives are cheaper. And on my wife's mid drive, the 8 speed E bike chain, longer (more $) than a regular road bike chain needed replacement at a little over 2000 miles.

Last edited by Ralph; 04-24-2024 at 01:18 PM.